Things to teach your son
I was recently re-watching 'The Big Bang Theory' and the episode where Howard finds out he is gonna have a son and freaks out cause he didn't know what he would teach his son particularly caught my attention.
I've read through multiple Reddit threads, blogs, and articles; So I've come up with this comprehensive list of lessons one can teach their son.
The school of thought behind this is to help your son so he can learn from your experience.
Here are some I came up with :
1. Never shake a man's hand sitting down
2. In a negotiation never make the first offer
3. When being thanked for something respond with “You’re welcome” instead of “No problem”
4. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas
5. Play with passion or don't play at all
6. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look at them in the eye
7. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath
8. Experience the serenity of traveling alone
9. Never turn down breath mint
10. Always stand when an elder gentleman or a woman enters the room
11. Thank a veteran - A simple 'thank you for your service' goes a long way
12. Eat lunch with the new kid - Be the senior you wished you had!
13. Don’t criticize people for their religious beliefs. It makes you look as childish & insecure as the guy from high school that still flicks your ear at the reunion.
14. Give credit. Take the blame - I learned this from Satish Jain Chairman of ISRO check out this video of APJ Abdul Kalam speaking about him.
15. Write down your dreams
16. Be confident and humble at the same time
17. In all things lead by example not by explanation
18. Dress how you want to be addressed
19. When entrusted with a secret keep it
20. Try to help without being asked
21. Always protect your siblings
22. Ask him to play with his mother, She won’t let him win
23. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it
24. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room
25. Be picky especially when it comes to women and burgers. Never settle.
26. Teach him to call his Mom at least once a week for no reason. Forever.
27. Choose your battles - remember when to walk away, be the bigger person
28. He will come to you with questions that he won't always want to ask his mother, about
girls and about love. Ask him to ask her anyway, she will know the answers.
29. American inventor Charles F. Kettering once said, "every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice." Be a good one.
30. Putting someone else’s candle out doesn’t make your shine brighter
31. Never lie, don’t ever trust a liar and never vote for a liar!
32. Hold your heroes to a higher standard
33. Respect your girlfriend’s parents by staying out of her bedroom.
34. Always wait for a girl to enter her house when you drop her home
I hope this helps anyone who is reading this.
Until next time!
Shout out to Sebastián León Prado for the picture.